Saturday, August 12, 2006

PLEASE MEET THE REAL ME

Every so often someone in church pulls me aside to be introduced to his guests. Inadvertently, a still and rebellious voice screams inside of me: I am more than that you know. Sometimes, my mind then flies into all the good things that can be said about me and about what I do. I am a school owner...a teacher...an accomplished painter...an astute businesswoman...a good writer...a proud graduate of our state university...a cancer survivor, for heaven's sake.

And then the thought transforms into annoyance about how I am always overshadowed by my husband's good looks, charm and charisma and how I will never conform to one's picture of a demure and lady-like minister's wife. My brain then rants off about society's male chauvinism...the fact that ours is really a matriarchal society and that this country will not progress without the women...the ineptitude of our government in addressing the real issues of our nation. But scrap that thought because I am sure men will say, but our country is being run by a woman.

It's a good thing I know how and when to stop and laugh myself. I then put on my sweetest smile, reach out my hand, as I always do, and say, Welcome to our church.

No comments: